Come one; come all to the 2020 NSW Seniors Festival!
Hello, seniors and friends! It’s about time once again for the annual New South Wales Seniors Festival and we’re here to keep you up to speed with what’s going to be happening during the Wednesday, 12 February to 23 February 2020 festivities.
As the biggest annual event for elderly adults in the state, you can be sure that there will be so much going on that something will for sure pique your interest. Here’s a run-down of the activities you definitely won’t want to miss.
Workshops and classes
The NSW Seniors Festival isn’t just held in one place; as with last year, there are going to be events happening all over, held by different organisations. These are ideal for seniors looking to try some workshops or classes to learn new things or pick up a new hobby. The bonus is: some of them are even free!
Here are a few highlights (please click the activity name for more information):
- Garden Club – Great for green-thumbed seniors (or black-thumbed ones who want to improve!) who want to learn more about caring for plants. This is on Wednesday, 12 February.
- Goulbourn Woodworkers – Folks who want to get into woodcrafts will enjoy this free demo and hands-on event by the local woodworking community. Held on Wednesday, 19 February 2020, the activity is free but you’ll want to book to ensure your place.
- Terrarium Workshops – This arts and crafts workshop will introduce seniors to the amazing world of terrarium-making. The class is also free and will be held at Bunnings Rose Bay on 12 February 2020.
- Introduction to Archery – Active seniors might want to try out their Robin Hood skills at this free event sponsored by the Bega Valley Shire Council at Colombo Park Bemboka.
Health and wellbeing-focused activities
Being on top of our health and general welfare is important at any age, but this is especially true for the elderly. The NSW Seniors Festival 2020 has events centred on keeping seniors healthy and strong, helping them live independently or get used to living with assistance, and more.
- My Aged Care – Not familiar with the government’s “My Aged Care” website? This event will help you learn about the service and teach you how to use it to access aged care services. Make sure to book a seat for the 17 March event if you’re interested.
- Assisted Living – For the elderly, their family members, or those who work with the elderly, there’s a free event demonstrating a whole variety of assisted living products to be held in Bunnings Narellan on 19 February 2020.
- Brain Training – Keeping the mind active and alert is important as we age. This social event will feature puzzle, quiz and games sessions to boost the brain. It will be held at Shellharbour Civic Centre.
- Death Café – This morning tea event facilitated by Karen Buckley of Home Instead is all about planning ahead and making end-of-life decisions.
- Active Over 50s – This aerobics class will teach the elderly exercises to keep their bodies strong and flexible. (Admission is $9)
Because NSW’s seniors deserve to relax and have some fun, a number of groups and businesses have prepared some parties, concerts and screenings, both free and paid, that our elderly can enjoy.
- Board Games and Morning Tea – Take the morning to socialise with fellow retirees over board games and morning tea at Bunnings Marsden Park. Book your seat for 12 February 2020.
- Monday Movie Matinee – Seniors can relax and take in a screening of the award-winning period film, “Love & Friendship,” starring Kate Beckinsale and Chloe Sevigny, at the Bathurst Library Meeting Room on 17 February 2020.
- Lunch Dance – Seniors can boogie away to music by Rox Pianoman and enjoy a fabulous lunch. (Admission is $15 but the first 30 bookings are free.)
- NSW Seniors Festival Comedy Show – One of this year’s highlight events is the Comedy Show to be held at Sydney Town Hall featuring comedians Jean Kittson, Nikki Britton, Daniel Townes, Rebecca De Unamono, Peter Berner, Gary Eck and Cait Johnson. It will be held on 18 February 2020.
- NSW Seniors Festival Premier’s Gala Concerts – Another of the most-awaited events during the Seniors Festival, this star-studded 4-concert event (13 February and 14 February) will feature such artists as John Paul Young, Vanessa Amorosi, Paulini, Alfie Arcuri, and Lorenzo Rositano.
As usual, the biggest occasion during the NSW Seniors Festival is the Expo which will be held in Hall 4 of the Exhibition Centre at the International Convention Centre in Sydney from 13 February 2020 (9am to 6pm) to 14 February 2020 (9am to 6PM).
There will be more than 60 exhibitors during the 2-day expo ranging from health and wellness products, medical research organisations, travel agencies, to government agencies, and more senior-adjacent groups and organisations, all in one place – in case you couldn’t find the time to visit the different shops and offices any other day.
Aside from the other workshops going on across NSW for the entire festival, the Expo will also be holding a few within the International Convention Centre like the Speed Friendship activity where seniors can meet fellow over-60 Sydney residents for friendship or romance (think speed dating, but romance is optional), Milan Dhiyaan’s Aboriginal Art workshop, the Fitter for Life program that helps seniors develop their mobility for day-to-day activities, and some crafting classes by Maker’s Loft.
And while you’re going around, you can expect to be serenaded by Australia’s longest-running Beatles cover band, The Beatnix, learn to shimmy and shake with Brent Street Dance School, or watch the Elvis impersonator perform. In fact, the Expo stage is going to be quite busy, with dancercise and chair yoga demos, drumming workshops, acoustic sets, and more.
You can also sit in a talk by the Expo’s special guest, beloved author, script writer, and Home and Away star, Judy Nunn (and get your book signed).
With all these going on, the NSW Seniors Festival 2020 is, without a doubt, going to be a blast and we definitely hope to see you there! (Yes, that’s right. Your friends from Kalinga Team (creators of the Kalinga Health app) will also be at the Expo, taking it all in, so please don’t hesitate to say “Hi!” We love meeting new people!